Sunday, July 23, 2017

Rain. More Rain.

 This image sums up my life right now. Demanding baby, demanding farm. Exhausted me.

"Nap when the baby naps" is the most often heard term a mom will hear when raising babies, but the reality is that meals must be cooked, other children must be cared for and the laundry must be washed. Add to this list the farm must be managed and you have my situation today.


This post is not to complain about all the many chores and demands, but to rather explain that there are days when the farming gets tough.
We have had lots of rain this year, which is a stark change from the horrible drought we suffered last year. The hay is thick and the grass recovers quickly. It has been so nice.

Except it has been hard on my herd of cattle. Although the cows have lots of dry pasture to stand in and graze, they tend to stand in water. When it rains inches upon inches within a few days, the ground becomes very wet. 
I knew that the wet ground could be an issue for my sheep and horse, but it seems the cows have suffered most. We have been battling hoof rot over here.

4 cows had hooves that were swollen and sore. A call to the vet confirmed the issue and we began treatment right away.

This girl, Ivy, had the skin break open above her hoof and there was a ulcer type of sore. We managed to get copper sulfate on the wound daily and it has healed up nicely.

 My girl Molly, however, had the worst case with all four of her feet swollen. After several treatments she now has only her back feet swollen, but one back foot is so bad that she will not put much weight on it. 

So we are still giving her medicine for pain. We are also feeding her grain to get some weight back on her, since she has lost many pounds. Poor Molly!
This morning she had a little puss oozing out from her foot, so I am hoping it will drain and start to heal.



I have been bringing cheddars out from the cave and this one is particularly yummy. I had run out of cheesecloth, so instead of wrapping it with lard and cloth I rubbed it down in olive oil and Thai Spices that I purchased from a local spice company. The results are delicious, and this 7 pound wheel is nearly gone! 


The baby turned 9 months old last week. He is crawling every where and getting into anything within his reach.  It always amazes me how quickly a baby can move and get into things.

It has been super hot every day here, with high humidity. The result is a heat index of 100 and greater. The only way to spend the day is in air conditioning or in the pool. Even the pool feels like bath water, but it is still refreshing. 

ome homeschooling supplies are starting to trickle in from various suppliers. My main focus this year is STEM, and I have purchased a couple of robotics sets. The kids are excited to get started. 

You might have noticed the blog look differently, thanks to photo bucket. I have been working on fixing broken widgets and expired photo bucket photos. Thanks for sticking around while I clean house here.

In the meantime, send good thoughts this way for my cattle and I will post updates!

Peace.

Sam


4 comments:

  1. You're a super woman in my eyes, Sam. I'm only battling garden pest and crazy goats and that's just about more than I can handle. I'm praying things calm down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your honesty, we are doing something similar in Australia but with just 4 kids and a few goats.
    It's ok to do less if you need to, somehow cut back on something somewhere and rest a little. I know that might sound impossible right now but you look really exhausted.
    I hope your cows get better soon.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog, your honesty about motherhood and farm life is a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam I think of you as super woman, but even super women gets tired 😴 take care of yourself and try to sneak in a little nap. I hope your back is better. Love you Sam 😊

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...