Friday, July 11, 2014

That Day I Had Heat Stroke

Okay, I might be exaggerating BUT the one thing that really stinks about bee keeping is the fact that it is always 90 degrees outside when hives need inspecting.

I had three nucs that were ready for full hive bodies and so I suited up after lunch and got all the hives settled into new homes.  Of course halfway through all this bee work I felt like I was going to die. The 90 degree heat and the 90% humidity and a well lit smoker is enough to make one feel like they are suffocating, and I might have even hallucinated for a second. I managed to get myself back into the house and into a nice long shower.

Of course now I am sitting on the front porch with sweet tea and a few pictures to share from the adventures we had yesterday.

I live close to a railroad track, in fact, the track runs along the front border of the property. Zeb mentioned to me a few days ago that he would like to ride a train. Lucky for him we live just a hop away from Chattanooga.

Yesterday we woke up and decided to take the little ones to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. I took the older girls many years ago with a home school group. This time Willow, Rose and the two boys joined us and we had fun.


There were lots of train cars to tour and many opportunities for that perfect family photo, you know the cute photos where everyone is actually looking at the camera and smiling.



The kids were also allowed the chance to get up close and personal to the very old locomotives and to stare in awe at the massive size of the wheels.
Of course our adventures included a real live train ride.


The boys, of course, sat in a seat with an open window. It was all fun and games too, until steam from the engines came blowing inside.


After the train museum we treated the kids to lunch out, which is a huge treat in this family.


So after our adventure yesterday we decided we would take the whole crew on another in September. We are thinking about taking everyone to Rock City once the weather cools a bit.

Chattanooga has lots of fabulous activities and sights to explore and experience and we are lucky to live so close.


What summer adventures are you having?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a super fun day. But the bee keeping in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity?!! Yikes! This NY girl feels sweaty just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you're already aware on what to do to avoid heat stroke, so doing those should help prevent it from happening again, as well as keep your job manageable. Beekeeping is no easy job at that weather, so I hope you took the proper measures to make it tolerable at the very least. Take care!

    Betsy Collyer @ US HealthWorks, Santa Clara

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...