Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Blame My Mom

I have been called eccentric. I have been called super lady. I have been called crazy.
I suppose all of these names are fitting to an extent, what with all of the kids and animals and hobbies.
I do tend to find what I like or want to do and run with it, exert all of my energy into that task.


*Mom*

 




What many might not realize is that I have my mom to blame.
Let me explain:

Dear Mom,

So you drove up to the house today and noticed a couple more baby cows and a few new pigs in the yard. You also noticed fleece and yarn hanging to dry after my morning of spinning yarn, of course that was all done after the children and I milked the cows, fed the chickens, and moved the egg mobile. Isn't my farm growing?
Yes, I realize there are some feathers still blowing across the back yard from our chicken processing event a few days ago. I promise those will all be gone before we process the next batch of pastured chickens.


I also have not forgotten that we are taking a quilt class this week and will make sure I get my fabrics cut before the day, but first I have to sew together the blocks from my current quilt project.
Excuse the mess of books on the kitchen table too, as the summer books just arrived. Homeschooling has been such a wonderful experience, even if books are always piled up.
That book? Well, that is my new cheese making book. Since I have a cheese cave now I plan to craft a cheese a week (at least) so I can fill the cave up quickly.
Would you like to sit and have some cake and tea? Yes, the children and I have been baking today and we made your famous oatmeal cake.
Speaking of children, we might adopt a child or two. What do you think? Really? Cool, I knew that you of all people would understand that  children are blessings!
In the meantime, I might buy another calf or two. Did you see my new goslings? Aren't they cute?
Tomorrow I am going to get more soil so I can plant the tomatoes and peppers in the garden. Will you help me can salsa this summer? Perhaps we can buy local strawberries and make some jam too.


Oh, Happy Mother's Day. You are awesome. You are why I do so many things. Seriously. I feel like I can do anything I put my mind to and that is all your fault.
Some kids grew up thinking maybe they just weren't good enough or smart enough. Not me. Not once were you not supportive. Not once did you make me think I couldn't accomplish my goals. Because of the incredible amount of self esteem I have, I literally think I can do anything. Most days I attempt tasks that most folks wouldn't attempt. I am ambitious to the point of no return. I am not shy. I am not an introvert. I am never bored. I do not see myself slowing down. Ever. The sky is truly my limit. Thanks.
I know it wasn't always easy raising three kids, and for a good while you raised us on your own. Single mom. Yet, you still were able to instill self worth and self esteem into an impressionable child. People think I am ambitious, yet I am only following your lead. You were ambitious in your child rearing and look what you got? Yeah, I say you were quite successful. Thanks. I love you.

Sam
(the favorite daughter)



4 comments:

  1. That's so lovely, I'm sure you've made your mom very proud. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog, and may I say sister-friend, that you and are must be twins separated at birth! I laughed when I read about the feathers in the yard (and yes, sometimes we also have chicken carcasses that the cats run off with) and the quilting, new calves, gardening, and even adopting ( we have adopted 2, are in the process of adopting 4 that have been with us 2 years, and I'm trying to talk my hubby into another little guy in China....sigh) It's so lovely to know that there are other women out there who are as weird as I am, with the same priorities and commitments to their kids, and that even if it isn't stylish, it's what we want because it's best for our families and for us. Yah, we homeschool too :-) See what I mean? We also milk 2 jerseys, but my cheese making has been limited- something I'm hoping to improve. (I've only done mozzarella) I also have chickens, sheep, and I have taking spinning classes- had some beautiful Corriedale fleeces that I used to sell online because I never could find the time to get them done! Anyway, thanks for sharing- I really enjoy your blog because it's all about the things that I also love to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you just made my day! It does sound like we could be sisters! We actually cut the first wheel of artisan cheese and it was fantastic! I am so excited. Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It has been a rough week and it brightened my day:-)

      Delete
  3. You are definitely your Mother's Child! You are every bit as AWESOME as your Mother. As well as kind, generous, creative, loving, and intelligent, just to name a few traits you both have in common. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...