Friday, March 16, 2012

Adventures With Molly the Family Cow

I think I am the type of person who really thrives on being busy. Okay, it stresses me out to have too much going on, especially when it involves having to leave the house and drive somewhere. Something about having seven kids makes me really enjoy the stay at home pace versus the run around everywhere pace.
But we are not talking about that.
I am talking about how sometimes when I have too much on my plate I get motivated to actually get really busy. Crazy busy.



Case in point:
I neglected my laundry all week and then decided that we needed to change all the sheets on ALL the beds AND go through ALL the clothes to sort through them for stains, size and out of season. Note that this is not all of the dirty laundry and I also have an overflowing bucket of cloth diapers to wash. (sigh)

Well, I was motivated today. The pile of laundry made me get crazy busy and it is halfway done, folded and put away.

Speaking of having more on my plate, we drove to Powder Springs yesterday and put a down payment on our new family cow, Molly. Oh we are excited! We will pick her up in mid- April so today I sat down and ordered some of the supplies I would need to begin milking her. When she gets here you can bet she will be the subject of many posts, so I will title those posts " Adventures with Molly the Family Cow."

In fact, I am removing the "domestic Adoption" line from my header. It's not that we have given up BUT I feel silly having it on there when it could be forever before DFCS calls us with any child. Well, it feels like forever already. It has been more than a year since we first started the paperwork. We are still waiting, and waiting, and waiting for that "phone call."

The cow is going to be a lot of work, but I am looking forward to it very much. I have always wanted a Jersey milker and now that will be reality. I think all of the kids are excited as well, especially the younger group.

 The bee keeping season is in full swing and we made several splits this week from existing hives that were overflowing with bees.

 I even traveled an hour north to make some splits from my hives up there. These small hives are called nucs and they are now at my property. They will need to raise queens and that will take about a month.
My hens are still happy and laying eggs like crazy. I decided to place some eggs under a very broody hen so we will have some new chicks in three weeks.

Today's cleaning spree has inspired me to take a hard look at my own closet and stash of clothing. Okay, perhaps the fact that I can barely walk into my closet helped inspire me some as well. I do not need all these clothes. I only need some essentials and a couple nice things, right?

What do you think are really necessary to own or not own in your wardrobe?

Have a fantastic weekend!



2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing Molly the family cow and the new chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is 12 and has been raising her own chickens and ducks for awhile now. She sells her eggs and at the moment, has an incubator full in her new school to teach other kids. I'm going to tell her about you. This is great! For more information Visit My Website. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...